The stork is on its way, but will it bring a pink or a blue bundle? Here are the best known popular beliefs about male and female
Folk beliefs male female
The nine months of pregnancy have begun and you are already starting to wonder if the bundle will be a boy or a girl. While waiting for an ultrasound or amniocentesis to reveal your secret, we could use all popular beliefs to predict whether a boy or a girl will arrive.
From skin health to mood, hair color to pendulums and the Chinese calendar: history and traditions are full of anecdotes and strange beliefs about how find out the sex of the baby.
In this article
Difference between male and female in pregnancy
Once upon a time having one female was not considered a “happy event” and this negative approach was already manifested during pregnancy: wanting to give credit to these popular legends, therefore, you suffer from depression, are you tense, hormones dance and make you tear easy and sad? It is likely that you are expecting a sissy; on the other hand, if you enjoy a good mood and feel good, a boy will probably arrive. Of course, many future mothers will be able to disprove these bizarre beliefs!
Here is a list of the most popular methods for predicting the sex of the child:
- Body changes
- Birthmarks in pregnancy
- The pendulum game
- The movements in the belly
- Other methods
The body changes
And the differences between expecting a boy or a girl would also manifest in the health state, in the onset of small disorders typical of pregnancy and in the physical appearance of the expectant mother. For example:
- look at your hair: during pregnancy they are probably much brighter, thicker and brighter, but if reddish reflections pop up it could be a sign that you are expecting a girl;
- look at your skin: if the face is suffering in particular from the hormonal changes typical of pregnancy and is filled with acne, pimples, dry skin you could expect a female, while if the skin seems smoother and more luminous than usual you will expect a male.
Measure your breasts: according to an American scholar, when a woman is expecting a girl, her breasts increase during pregnancy by an average of eight centimeters, while if she is expecting a boy, her breasts would not increase by more than 6.3 centimeters.
- check your blood pressure during pregnancy and not only to make sure that everything is normal, but also to predict the sex of the baby: with a value of less than 140 beats per minute, a boy will arrive; with values higher than 140 beats per minute, a female is arriving.
- keep an eye on your partner: if he too is gaining weight and starting to have bacon it could mean that you are expecting a baby girl.
Birthmarks in pregnancy
Even the typical cravings of pregnancy, those that make you crave chocolate in the middle of the night or strawberries for breakfast could be the distinctive signal of a male or a female:
- if you are craving for proteins, meats, cheeses, salty foods, a boy could be coming
- if, on the other hand, you can’t resist sweets, orange juice, fruit, it’s likely that a female is on the way.
The pendulum game
Even the game of famous pendulum has been used for generations to predict the sex of the unborn child: you can use one wedding ring as a pendulum after hanging it on a chain and making it move on your stomach:
- if moving the pendulum forms circles you are expecting a male;
- if instead the faith moves from one side to the other, a female could be on the way
The movements in the belly
Finally, pay attention to when you feel the first movements of the fetus in the belly: if you feel them very early it is said that you are expecting a male; if you hear them after a while you might expect one child.
Male or female? The game of rs
Another very popular game is to count the r’s in the name and surname of mom and dad and those present in the months from conception to birth to find out the total and thus identify the sex of the child.
- Try to flip a coin: head, a male arrives; cross, comes a female.
- Observe your habits when sleep and how to arrange the pillow: if it is facing south it is a sign of the birth of a female; if it is facing south you might expect a male.
- Do a simple calculation: add the number of your years at the time of conception and the number of the month in which conception occurred. If the result of this sum is an odd number, a female is coming; if it is an even number, you are expecting a boy.
More or less all future mothers know the various “belly legends“. Know that the shape of the belly indicates something different depending on the region: for example in Basilicata the pointed belly indicates a girl, in Emilia instead it would indicate the birth of a boy.
In general, however, it is said that if you are expecting a female, the belly widens along all the sides and is low.
If a male is about to arrive, the belly is high and has a pointed shape, although in some regions in past generations it was said that “the pointed belly does not go to war”, implying the arrival of a female.
How to tell if male or female from the moon
Some believe that the moon phases can affect the chances of conceiving a boy or a girl. Using, therefore, the lunar calendar we discover that, if the conception took place during the Crescent moon, the greater the chances of having a female, while on the contrary if the conception took place during the falling moon the chances of having a boy would be higher.