How to have twin children? Advice and changes in lifestyle and diet that can increase these possibilities
Like having twin children
The twin pregnancies in Italy they represent a relatively low percentage. Statistics speak of 1-2% of twin births. The likely to naturally conceive two twins are few, although the increase in the number of couples who resort to assisted fertilization has also led to an increase in the number of twin pregnancies throughout the industrialized world. But is there a way to have twins and what factors increase the odds? Here it is like having twin children.
How to make twins
How does the conception of twins? There are two types of twins: monozygotic or heterozygotes. Monozygotic twins are virtually identical: a single egg is fertilized by a single spermatozoon and at some point splits in two, giving rise to two separate embryos that each have their own umbilical cord, but may or may not share the placenta and the amniotic sac. These monozygotic twins are identical, have the same genetic makeup, the same sex and the same blood group.
Heterozygous (or dizygotic) twins, on the other hand, are born from two distinct eggs that have been released from the same ovary with a double ovulation or from both ovaries. Each egg is fertilized by a sperm and therefore two genetically different embryos are conceived that share only the mother’s belly during the period of pregnancy. For this reason they are also called fraternal twins.
Looking at the percentages around one third of the twins are monozygotic, while the other two thirds are heterozygous. This means that it is a lot more likely to have heterozygous twins, that is different from the genetic point of view, that grow with two simultaneous pregnancies and that can be two males, two females or a male and a female (and the sex of the child establishes it, as in every pregnancy, the male spermatozoon with the its chromosomal makeup of X or Y, so it is impossible to put in place any strategy for having twin sons or two female twins).
Probability of having twin children
The factors that most affect the possibility of having twins are genetic: being twins or having twins in the family. But there are tips and lifestyle and diet changes that can increase these chances.
As we said, according to statistics, two thirds of twin pregnancies start from fertilization of two eggs. Usually the woman has a single ovulation, but in some cases a double ovulation can occur. It is mainly a random, non-programmable event. Some elements can favor one double ovulation, thus creating greater possibilities of conceiving twins, but we always talk about possibilities and not certainties.
According to an American site called Trimestertalk there are some things we can do to facilitate this chance of getting pregnant with twins.
- Consume lots of dairy products: multiplies the chances of having twins by up to 5 times. Increase your consumption of milk, cheese, yogurt and cream.
- Take folic acid: increases the chance of a twin pregnancy by 40%. Folic acid is an element present in plants, but which can also be taken in the form of a supplement.
- Trying to become pregnant by abruptly stopping the pill: hormonal disruption can promote double ovulation.
- Having twins in the family: genetics play a major role in this case and it could skip a generation or two before presenting another twin pregnancy.
- Breastfeeding: Trying to become pregnant while still breastfeeding increases the chance of conceiving twins.
- Take magnesium and calcium: in the form of supplements, these two elements promote the conception of twins, but it is best to consult with your doctor before starting to use them.
- Have already had multiple pregnancies: the incidence of twin pregnancies is higher when a woman has already had three or four children.
- Age of the expectant mother: women who are trying to become pregnant at a later age have a better chance of having twins.
- Weight: the weight of the mother could also influence the conception of twins, in fact women of medium / high weight have a better chance.
- Take cassava (or sweet potato): could facilitate double ovulation.
Other factors that can increase the likelihood of having twins I’m:
women over the age of 35 are more likely to have a twin pregnancy because hormonal changes cause the ovaries to produce more eggs each month.
- A previous twin pregnancy
if you have already had a twin birth, the chances of having twins again increase considerably.
- Fertility Treatments
The significant increase in twin pregnancies recorded in recent years is undoubtedly linked to the greater use of fertility treatments and medically assisted procreation: hormonal stimulations and other procedures can increase the chances of having twins.
It is important to remember that the possibility of having twins, in a natural way, is not programmable with certainty and that it is very important to consult with your doctor to evaluate whether based on your physical shape you could face a twin pregnancy peacefully.
Having twins is inherited
There is no doubt that one of the factors that most predisposes to a twin pregnancy is having a family history. Some say that this probability usually skips a generation, but it is not proven at all, which means that it is i twins can have twin children. There is, therefore, a proven one hereditary component with regard to multiple pregnancies and often when you discover that you are expecting a pair of twins, you begin to investigate your family history to discover that in the family tree of the mother or father there are twins that maybe someone had forgotten!