How to avoid gaining weight quickly during pregnancy: what to eat and what to do to not gain weight too quickly. How many pounds should you put on
How to avoid gaining weight quickly during pregnancy
According to pregnancy experts, a weight gain of up to 12 kilos is considered normal, however much also depends on the initial weight and body mass index. But how to avoid gaining weight quickly during pregnancy?
In this article
Why it is important not to gain too much weight during pregnancy
Excessive weight gain during the nine months exposes you to a greater risk of problems and complications such as:
- Gestational hypertension
- Gestational diabetes
- Premature birth
- Excessive weight of the newborn
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Caesarean section
- Obstinate postpartum overweight
How many pounds can you get pregnant?
As we said, 12 kilos are recommended which are divided, in principle:
- 3.5 the weight of the child
- increase in the amount of blood circulating
- amniotic fluid
- breast augmentation
- supply of fat.
How weight gains quarter after quarter
- In the first 3 months of pregnancy there is no reason to gain weight: many women do not gain weight in the first months, indeed due to nausea some women lose a few pounds.
- In the second trimester the weight gain becomes more evident: the nausea has passed and we eat more willingly.
- In the third trimester, weight gain slows down slightly, and fetal development profoundly affects the mother’s weight gain.
What is the cause of rapid weight gain in pregnancy?
Women gain weight especially in the last months of pregnancy and this is not only due to the weight of the baby, which obviously grows day by day: much of the weight is caused by the increase of fluids in the body which are functional for the baby’s circulation. , placenta and amniotic fluid.
Tips for not gaining too much weight
Obviously it is normal to gain weight during pregnancy, but, as we have seen, it is important to stay within the norm without exaggerating in order not to incur complications related to childbirth or even future obesity. Here, then, are some tips to not gain weight too quickly during pregnancy.
- Don’t eat for two: The child needs nutrients vitamins and minerals to be able to grow properly. But above all, don’t overeat or gorge on junk foods. There is also no need to increase your calorie intake in the first trimester, unless you are underweight or advised by your gynecologist. In the second trimester, you typically only need about 300 extra calories, and in the third trimester, 450 more calories.
- Pay attention to the portions: always be aware of the portions. It is not enough to say “I only eat a plate of pasta”, if in the end it is 150 grams of pasta seasoned with a very caloric sauce. If you are very hungry, try putting a few more vegetables on your plate – it will add extra volume and fiber and help you better control your portions. Another trick is to use a dessert plate to portion the dish.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals: it is the best thing to do especially in the last trimester, when the baby takes up a lot of space in the belly and the stomach is very constricted.
- Always add fiber and protein to every meal: This combination helps to regulate blood sugar and also to keep the feeling of hunger under control. Finally, as an added benefit, fibers are essential for maintaining intestinal balance.