Tourniquet syndrome occurs when a strand of hair curls up on the baby’s fingers or toes, or even on the child’s genitals, preventing blood circulation there. If the parents do not immediately notice what is happening, it may lead to amputation in the most severe cases.
Keep an eye on the inside of babies’ socks before wearing them on your feet, check for any loose hair or fabric.
See below, the true story of a mother whose baby went through this dramatic situation
Tizzie Hall’s youngest son, a specialist in baby sleep, cried a lot, and the mother checked all the basic items like hunger, cold, heat, dirty diapers, sleep and found nothing wrong. Nothing calmed little Ciarán at the time, three months old. So Tizzie decided to take off all the baby’s clothes to see what was bothering him. She noticed that on her little toe, there was a strand of curly hair.
The mother tried to remove the hair and could not, the same happened with the baby’s father and there were a couple of paramedical friends in the house, who were also unsuccessful. They decided to take little Ciarán to the hospital and several doctors were also unable to remove the hair from the baby’s little finger.
The possibility of a surgery with local anesthesia was even discussed, however, a plastic surgeon managed to put an end to the suffering of the parents and the baby, who by then had already had a bluish fingertip. He applied only a local anesthesia to remove the hair. Ciarán spent the whole morning under observation, and will have to return for other follow-up appointments with the surgeon. Everything to make sure that the blood circulation is back to normal on the little finger.
Tizzie shared the story on her Facebook page to alert parents to “hair tourniquet syndrome,” which can affect many children.
This is the kind of accident we don’t hear much about, but when we have some kind of important information like this, we should stay alert, so we will avoid many sad stories like this one that thank God had a happy ending!
Source: Crescer Magazine