The so-called “spring syndrome” affects both adults and children and the general state of malaise that is perceived is very subjective.
Children often become more temperamental, tired and bored, and this despite the higher temperatures and the longer days allow them to spend whole afternoons in the park playing.
The body is affected by changes in darkness and light, by the increase in temperature which in the first months is mainly characterized by changes between heat and cold and everyone, including children, need time to get used to it.
Tend to i children become more apathetic, bored, sluggish and already tired in the morning; they have a hard time waking up and can hardly fall asleep in the evening. They are often very listless and struggle to concentrate both during school hours and during sports activities.
Older children can also report physical ailments such as headaches and abdominal pains, while the smaller ones can become very irritable to the point of having sudden crying that can hardly be traced back to any particular cause.
How to prevent or deal with spring syndrome?
Generally in a few weeks we return to the so-called “normality”, as it is nothing serious but there are small tricks that can be implemented that can facilitate the overcoming of these weeks, such as:
- try to establish one routine that can reconcile sleep before going to bed, such as a relaxing bath and reading some books that help to reconcile sleep, to allow the child to rest all night for no less than 8-9 hours;
- favor adiet rich in vitamins and minerals especially through seasonal foods and preferring fruit ice creams to satisfy the taste of children without exceeding the fats that weigh down even more in this period;
- leave the child there freedom to rest during the afternoon, avoiding overloading him with extra-school commitments, etc .;
- recommended do not make children sweat : if in the morning it is still cold in the late morning, if they go to the garden to play, it can get very hot, so dressing the children in layers is the most effective solution;
- we must not underestimate the allergies for example to pollen that can give physical symptoms and therefore greater irritability of children, especially if very young.
With some precautions, these weeks will also pass a bit turbulent that make our organism, accustomed to the cold and winter darkness, pass to the first days of sun and warmth.emotional stabilization that will allow you to better spend the beautiful sunny and warm days that summer will bring.
Dr. Erika Silighini