Walking in the mountains has always been my outlet, a moment of my own in which to leave every negative thought in the drawer of the house and dedicate myself only to myself. Wake up at dawn, a good and abundant breakfast, backpack and go! No time to respect, no one to be accountable to, just me, nature and a goal to reach. A challenge that became more and more difficult each time.
I have always believed that nothing would hinder me in this passion of mine. But one thing is what one thinks, another is reality! After Giulia’s birth, I thought very often about planning a trip alone in the mountains. I made a thousand mental schemes to decide who to leave it for in the morning, at lunch and during the afternoon hours before my return. But every time I have always given up and postponed to the future. It took more than two years to understand that the escape in the mountains was no longer just mine, but my daughter should have become my new and undisputed companion!
Essential things not to forget
Before leaving it is useful to make sure of have everything you need with youand, even if it is a matter of walks of a few hours or not very demanding … but with children in the mountains it is always better to be foresight.
- High protection sun cream, cocoa butter, sunglasses, a disinfectant, plasters and gauze, wet wipes.
- Bottle with fresh water and some snacks (be careful where you place them in the backpack, to avoid them getting crushed).
- A picnic blanket. A complete change of linen, a waterproof jacket, a hat, a sweater and a pair of long pants. Logically the clothes to put in the backpack will vary according to the season.
How to choose the baby carrier backpack
Before choosing the backpack you have to ask yourself the kind of excursion in the mountains that you intend to take, that is, if it is a short path with little incline or a more demanding path that requires several hours of walking.
In the first case, just choose and rent the most comfortable model in a special shop, better after trying it on your shoulder with the child sitting inside. In general, I am more inclined to more demanding trips and therefore to use technical models that can be easily purchased in shops specialized in the sale of mountain equipment.
These baby carrier backpacks generally consist of a aluminum frame and have an awning for the sun or rain, they can also be adjusted according to the height of the child so as not to overload the mother’s back. They are generally approved up to 20 kg weight of the child.
Tips for use
- Avoid days too cold, windy or muggy.
- In order not to lose your balance during the journey, it is better to use the baby carrier backpack using a pair of trekking poles. Children often fall asleep on the way and can throw you off balance.
- Better to make a few stops and check how the baby feels. Give him a drink often.
- Gradually face the experience and the duration of the routes.
- In the evening you may have some back and hip pain, a little stretching will help you.