Popularity, origin, meaning & name day
Here you can find all information about the female first name Joyce:
Joyce goes back to the old French name Josce, which in turn comes from the Celtic name Jodocus. The boy’s name Jodokus or Jodocus most likely has its roots in Celtic. There the word “jud” or “iud” stood for “fighter” or “warrior”. The Celtic word “iodoc”, which means “Herr” or “Lord”, could also play a key role in the origin of the name. Fittingly, the name was only given to boys until the Middle Ages. Its modern variants are now used more as girls’ names.
The name Jodocus is known from the cartoon Alfred Jodocus Kwak. The name day on December 13th, however, goes back to Saint Jodok (or Jodokus). This was a hermit, priest and pilgrim in the 7th century. Even today he is considered the patron saint of pilgrims, travelers and boatmen. He is also mentioned as the patron saint of bakers, the blind and the sick. Churches, chapels and especially often hospitals were consecrated in his name along pilgrimage routes.
Joyce is also a combination of the English words “joy” and “grace”.
The name is also often used as a family name and in the USA as a place name. A Christian women’s magazine and an asteroid also have this name.
Jodokus and Jodok
CeCe, Choice, Jey, Jo, JoJo, Joey, Josi, Jotze, Joy, Joycey, Joyci and Joyciimäusi
Similar first names
Joy, Joya, Joyceln, Joycelynne, Joycie, Joyellen, Joyleen, Joyline, Joyse and Sujoyeeta
Most popular double names with Joyce
Amina-Joyce, Angelika-Joyce, Bella-Joyce, Celina-Joyce, Chiara-Joyce, Fabrizia-Joyce, Jillian-Joyce, Joyce-Alexis, Joyce-Alina, Joyce-Ann, Joyce-Charleen, Joyce-Elaine, Joyce- Emily, Joyce-Lavina, Joyce-Leonie, Joyce-Marie, Joyce-Mercedes, Joyce-Paris, Joyce-Samantha and Joyce-Violette
- Joyce Beatty (American politician)
- Joyce Cary (Irish writer)
- Joyce Chepchumba (Kenyan long distance runner)
- Joyce Green (American rockabilly musician)
- Joyce Ilg (German actress, presenter and voice actress)
- Joyce Johnson (American writer)
- Joyce King (Australian sprinter)
- Joyce Mandel (American actress and model)
- Joyce Meyer (American author)
- Joyce Silveira Moreno (Brazilian singer)
- Joyce Carol Oates (American writer)
- Joyce Redman (Irish actress)
- Eileen Joyce Rutter (British writer)
- Joyce Wein (American music and festival manager)
Joyce seeks happiness
A personal and individual happiness book for Joyce:
How did you like this article?
What can we improve on this article?
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Popularity, origin, meaning & name day
, we invite you to share the article on Facebook, pinterest and whatsapp with the hashtags ☑️ #Popularity #origin #meaning #day ☑️!