The new DL has given the green light to parental leave for parents who will have to look after their children due to closed schools: this is how they work
The Council of Ministers approved the new provisions which will regulate the lives of citizens until April 6. The umpteenth anti-contagion squeeze was in fact made necessary by the latest surge of negative data coming from almost the whole country and the leaders of the institutions are confident that the restrictions, supported by the launch of the mass vaccination campaign, decisive turning point in the evolution of the pandemic in Italy.
Among the salient points of the measures, in addition to the extension of the red zone throughout the nation for the Easter weekend and Easter Monday, the one that most interests families concerns the reintroduction of parental leave which, in light of the closure of schools, it will allow only one parent per household to stay at home to look after the children in Distance Learning.
Parental leave for Covid
The Law Decree of March 13, 2021 has arranged a coverage of approx 290 million euros (282.8 million euros, to be exact) to cope with the difficulties of families who will find themselves managing the work commitments of their parents and, at the same time, will have to look after their children forced to attend school lessons from home.
Of course the use of smartworking remains the preferred solution, but not all companies or businesses can guarantee this possibility to their employees and in this case the new parental leave for Covid comes into play, i.e. a period of absence from work which is regulated in Article 2 of the latest Decree already published in the Official Gazette.
The rules of the new parental leave for Covid
According to the provisions of the Law Decree, this is how the leave and the request for smartworking work.
Who can benefit from it?
- Parents (only one per family) of cohabiting minors of 16 years may require to enter into smartworking for the period corresponding – in whole or in part – to the duration of the child’s DAD. This provision is also valid in the event of quarantine or contagion of the child in question.
- Parents of cohabiting minors of 14 years instead, if it is not possible to resort to smartworking, they will be able – always one per family – to request parental leave paid at 50% of the usual contract fee.
- This abstention from work is also granted to the parents of children with disability enrolled in schools of every order and degree that have adopted distance learning.
- A parent of aged children between 14 and 16 years can also refuse smartworking and request the total abstention from work, but without payment of remuneration or indemnity nor recognition of notional contribution. However, in the event of such a choice, it will not be possible dismissal or demotion by the employer.
The Baby Sitter Bonus
The Decree also provides that the workers enrolled in the Inps separate management, the autonomous, the staff of the sector safety, defense and rescue employees for the Covid-19 emergency and employees of the health sector have the opportunity to access bonuses for hiring the services of baby-sitting within the overall maximum limit of 100 euros per week.
This measure, however, concerns:
- Parents of cohabiting children children under 14.
- Parents who are not already using the daycare bonus.
- Only one parent per household.
How to access it?
To benefit from the measures listed above, it is necessary to contact INPS.
Questions and answers
Who can apply for parental leave for Covid?
Parents of minors under 14 (only one per family) with a salary of 50%.