Dandruff is caused by abundant peeling of the scalp that appears to be covered with small, dry, pearly white flakes.
Generally, it is a rather rare phenomenon in children (dandruff tends, in fact, to appear around adolescence when the main hormonal changes occur); it can happen, however, in those children who tend to renew their skin more quickly.
The phenomenon must absolutely not cause problems. It is not a disease and a few tricks are enough to solve it.
HOW TO BEHAVE
- Remove dandruff with a fine-toothed brush
- Wash your hair frequently with an oil-based shampoo specific for children that does not irritate the epidermis of the skin, but nourishes it
- In general, avoid using too aggressive products (shampoo and conditioner)
- If the scalp appears red and if the scales are yellow and greasy, wash your hair for 3 consecutive days with an anti-dandruff shampoo designed for children by proceeding as follows:
soap the baby’s head by practicing a light massage on the skin; wrap the still soapy hair in a towel and leave it like that for about ten minutes; rinse thoroughly (this operation must then be repeated at least once a week until the problem is solved)
- Maintain your child’s diet by avoiding junk foods, those with a high sugar content and cheeses, which are often responsible for dry skin.
Among the most effective natural remedies, certainly theuse of flaxseed or tea tree oil which, thanks to their antibacterial and antiseptic properties, help nourish the epidermis and counteract the appearance of dandruff.
There are also some formidable preparations to nourish the scalp and prevent the problem:
- Egg yolks: prepare a compress with 3 egg yolks mixed with warm water. Massage the scalp with the cream obtained and leave it to act for 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and wash your hair with a non-aggressive oil-based shampoo.
- Infusion of nettle flowers: infuse a teaspoon of nettle flowers in 250 ml of boiling water. Let cool and use to rinse baby’s hair after shampooing.
- Apple cider vinegar: once a week, rub the baby’s skin with apple cider vinegar which cleanses and stimulates blood circulation.
- Rosemary: crumble a few leaves of rosemary until it becomes a powder mixed with an equal amount of salt. Apply the powder obtained on the scalp by massaging gently. Repeat this twice a week for 6 weeks.