Cats and babies can be great accomplices. If you are considering getting a cat, there is important information to know and other tips
Cats and babies
Adopting a cat is a really important choice and, at the same time, it consists of a beautiful experience that allows children to grow a lot from a relational point of view.
However, even before taking the cat, it is necessary to know that the latter needs the commitment and respect of the whole family. There are, then, some things that need to be known and it is essential that parents and children are 100% convinced of the choice that is being made. So, here is a series of tips, information, useful tips on coexistence between cats and children.
In this article
After making the decision to adopt a kitten, it is also important to ensure that the relationship between the child and the pet is created correctly, with the help and supervision of the parents. Here are some useful tips about it:
- Choose a cat that can socialize with children. Our choice will have to fall on a cat that has been socialized correctly towards the children, therefore able to patiently tolerate manipulations and physical contact, particularly cuddly (i.e. who seeks physical contact himself), balanced and predictable in reactions . The advice is to go to see the kitten and try to understand how it behaves. If he is very shy and scared, or if he is too agitated, he will not be the ideal candidate. There are no specific breeds for children, within each breed, and even among the common Europeans, we can find the quietest cat and the most agitated one.
- Chosen the cat, it is essential that the parents always supervise the feline’s interactions with children, especially as long as these are small. If we are talking about newborns it is good to know that cats are attracted to cozy beds and therefore almost always try to go and curl up in the cradle or bed. To avoid this, it is sufficient not to let the cat into the baby’s room or to cover the cradle with a special net.
- From a health point of view, it is a good idea to take the cat that has just been adopted by the vet for a clinical check-up and for basic vaccinations. These are intended to prevent diseases that are important for the animal, which in any case have no possibility of contagion for us human beings.
- It is advisable to always treat cats for external parasites such as fleas: the monthly administration of the pesticide is especially recommended for cats who have the opportunity to leave the house, but also excludes any risk for cats who always live at home.
CONTINUE READING: Cat and child, tips
Are you expecting a baby and do not know how to make it accepted by the house cat? Not sure how to establish the right relationship between you and the baby and the kitten? We asked Chiara Tocco, feline relationship consultant and founder of Gattastrofe, for some useful tips to ensure a peaceful coexistence.
- If you have never had pets, it is best to wait until the child is at least eight years old. According to Chiara Tocco, the child will be more mature and able to understand the needs of another living being.
- For adoption, contact specialists and direct your choice to an adult cat, between one year and seven years old. Kittens are sweet, but they are small earthquakes. It is also easier to understand the attitude and behavior of an adult cat.
- Some extra care is necessary if the cat cannot go out and the apartment is not “gattizzato”. The first thing to do then is to make the apartment cat-friendly:
– let’s three-dimensionality to spaces (the cat must also be able to use vertical spaces and move on shelves and bookcases made especially for him);
– let’s equip ourselves with scratching post both horizontal and vertical and at least 90 cm long to allow the cat to get its nails (and not to make them on the furniture of the house);
– we place several in the house kennels-den, some of these will go high;
– if possible, let’s give the cat the opportunity to have a room of its own to rest.
- If the woman is pregnant, the cat must be prepared for the arrival of the unborn child. As Chiara Tocco explains, “let’s talk to him and let’s explain what’s going on. Even though he already knows we are pregnant, he understood it from our new smell, from the hormones we have in our circulation. ” take the used onesies home from the newborn while the mother and child are still in the hospital. “Upon returning, crossing the door of the house with the new born, you can pass the child to the father while there mom caresses and celebrates the cat“says Chiara.
CONTINUE READING: Cats and babies can coexist peacefully, here’s how
Cats and Babies: Which Diseases Could Be Transmitted?
In general, the coexistence between cats and children is rather serene and does not present particular risks. In general, diseases that can be transmitted to humans are rare and easily controlled, such as intestinal parasites or mycoses. Particular attention to fleas and ticks: “ectoparasites”, in particular ticks, are vectors of potentially very dangerous diseases such as borrelia, rickettsia, ehrlichia or babesiosis. There are several products on the market that can be used to prevent infestations.
Live together with a kitten in the house it is incredibly beneficial for the psychological growth of children. There are many benefits that come from the relationship with this beautiful pet: taking care of a cat it has many positive effects on health and social relationships.
We have collected a series of studies on the subject, from which the following positive advantages of coexistence between children and cats emerged.
- Living with a cat strengthens the immune system.
- The child learns to take care of others.
- Living with a feline reduces stress and improves learning.
- And the cat provides emotional support in sad moments.
- It also decreases the risk of allergies.
- Strengthen the bonds in the family.
- Living with a cat helps children with autism.
CONTINUE READING: The benefits for a child of living with a cat
Pet Therapy: what it is and what are the benefits.
The term pet therapy was coined by the American psychiatrist Boris Levinson in the early 60’s and literally means “Therapy of the affected animal”. It is a support practice to other traditional forms of therapy that exploits the positive effects given by the proximity of an animal to a person.
Pet therapy interventions work thanks to the relationship that is established between a pet and a user (child, elderly person, sick person etc …): a complex and delicate harmony that stimulates emotional activation and favors openness to new experiences, new ways of communicating, new interests.
The animal does not judge, does not refuse, gives itself totally, stimulates smiles, helps socialization, increases self-esteem and has no prejudices. In his company the heart rate decreases …