Popularity, origin, meaning & name day
Here you can find all information about the female first name Lucy:
Lucy is a short form of Lucia or Lucille. Both are feminine forms of Lucius, a Roman given name, bei and family name. The name has its origin in the Latin word for light lux. It was originally used for someone born in daylight or daybreak. He can also use the Latin word of the same word family lucens connected, which means something like shiny, shimmering, shining. The meaning of Lucy is therefore “the shining one, the radiant one, the light” or also “the one born in the day”.
In the Catholic and Orthodox Churches, December 13th is celebrated as the day of St. Lucia. This was also the date of the winter solstice, prior to the introduction of the Gregorian calendar. For this reason, “the return of light” was celebrated on the day, the so-called Lucia Festival. It is mainly common in Sweden, Denmark and Norway.
The name was already relatively popular in Germany at the end of the 19th century and at times ranked among the 50 most frequently given baby names. In the thirties, its popularity had dropped so much that it is barely mentioned. In the nineties it experienced a boom and shot its way back into the name hit lists. In 1994, one year after its formation, the Berlin band landed lucilectric around the singer Luci van Org with the hit “Mädchen” her most successful chart hit. Probably its success helped the name to its popularity, because exactly in 1993/94 many newborn girls were suddenly called that again. In the new millennium, he is again regularly among the 50 most popular first names for girls. This name is occasionally found in English-speaking countries.
Lucy is, among other things, the title of an action thriller about the eponymous heroine, played by Scarlett Johansson from 2014. One of the most famous songs with her name is the 1967 title “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” by the Beatles. Its content is based on the story of Alice in Wonderland, but due to the imaginative video and the abbreviation of the nouns in the title, which result in LSD, some skeptics associate it with a drug intoxication, which the band denies.
Luca and Lucas
Lacky, Lou, Lu, Lucky, Lucylein, Luli, Lulu and Luz
Similar first names
Allucquere, Alucia, Dilucha, Luc, Luca, Lucana, Lucardis, Lucca, Luccy, Luce, Lucero, Lucetta, Lucette, Luchia, Luchina, Luchyna, Luci, Lucía, Luciana and Luciane
Most popular double names with Lucy
Fiona-Lucy, Lucy-Aileen, Lucy-Deborah, Lucy-Elisabeth, Lucy-Fee, Lucy-Gabriella, Lucy-Jolie, Lucy-Josephine, Lucy-Marie, Lucy-May, Lucy-Melina, Lucy-Milea, Lucy- Safira, Lucy-Sophia, Lucy-Sophie, Melissa-Lucy, Mirja-Lucy, Pauline-Lucy, Tessa-Lucy and Zoe-Lucy
- Lucy Ackerknecht (German psychotherapist and author)
- Lucy Akhurst (British actress, director and film producer)
- Lucy Alibar (American screenwriter)
- Lucy Walker (British documentary filmmaker and film producer)
- Lucy Davis (British actress)
- Lucy DeVito (American actress)
- Lucy Dubinchik (Israeli actress)
- Lucy Vollbrecht-Büschlepp (German artist)
- Lucy Fricke (German author)
- Lucy Liu (American actress)
- Lucy Punch (British actress)
- Lucy Bacon (American painter and art teacher)
- Lucy von Barclay de Tolly (German-Baltic painter)
- Lucy Scharenberg (German children’s book author)
- Lucy Ella von Scheele (German child actress)
- Lucy Scherer (German musical artist, singer and actress)
- Lucy Scott (British actress)
- Lucy Baxley (American politician; former lieutenant governor of Alabama (Democratic Party)
- Lucy Redler (German politician of the Socialist Alternative (SAV) and member of the “Die Linke” party)
- Lucy Robinson (British actress)
- Lucy Russell (British actress)
- Lucy Diakovska (German pop and musical singer, member of the German girl group “No Angels”)
Lucy is looking for happiness
A personal and individual happiness book for Lucy:
How did you like this article?
What can we improve on this article?
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Popularity, origin, meaning & name day
, we invite you to share the article on Facebook, twitter and e-mail with the hashtags ☑️ #Popularity #origin #meaning #day ☑️!