Popularity, Origin, Meaning & Name Day
Here you can find all information about the female first name Merle:
Merle is a feminine given name. Rarely does it also exist as a male name (especially in the USA) and family names. It means “shining or radiant sea”. Its origin is in the Irish given name Muriel or surname Merrill, the two of Muirgel come.
Some interpretations also point to the French word merle or Latin merula out, which means “blackbird”. This meaning can also be found in Upper Germany. It is also a short form of the old German name Merlind/e, which comes from the words mari “famous” and linta = “Basswood shield” composed.
In the mid-1970s, this name was found in significant numbers in Germany. Ten years later, its popularity increased significantly and by the beginning of the 21st century it was one of the most popular first names for girls. In the meantime, the trend is slightly declining again, but Merle is still one of the 100 most common female baby names. It is much more common in northern Germany than in the south.
Unfortunately no name days available.
Merle and Merlin
Melle, Melli, Meri, Merli and Perle
Similar first names
Almeria, Almerina, Amera, America, Amerie, Ameriga, Ammerentie, Asmeret, Azmera, Cameri, Cameron, Chinemerem, Coomer, Diameresa, Elmerina, Emer, Emerald, Emeralda, Emerelda, and Emerentia
Most popular double names with Merle
Anna-Merle, Julina-Merle, Lale-Merle, Merle-Amina, Merle-Ariane, Merle-Charlotte, Merle-Chayenne, Merle-Elodie, Merle-Josefine, Merle-Kristin, Merle-Marie, Merle-Mercedes, Merle- Mie and Merle Sophie
- Merle Barth (German soccer player)
- Merle Collet (German actress, presenter and author)
- Merle Frohms (German soccer goalkeeper)
- Merle Haggard (American country musician)
- Merle Kilgore (American composer, lyricist, country singer and manager)
- Merle Kröger (German crime novelist, screenwriter, filmmaker and producer)
- Merle Oberon (British actress)
- Merle Robbins (inventor of the card game Uno)
- Merle Travis (American country musician and songwriter)
- Merle Antony Tuve (American physicist and geophysicist)
- Clemens August von Merle (Auxiliary Bishop of Cologne)
- Michael Merle (German local politician)
How did you like this article?
What can we improve about this article?
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Popularity, Origin, Meaning & Name Day
, we invite you to share the article on Facebook, instagram and e-mail with the hashtags ☑️ #Popularity #Origin #Meaning #Day ☑️!