Popularity, Origin, Meaning & Name Day
Here you can find all information about the female first name Luna:
Luna derives directly from the Latin word luna ab and means moon. It also has this meaning in other Latin languages such as Spanish, French and Italian. The name comes from the moon goddess Luna from Roman mythology. The Monday (from lunar day) also bears her name in these languages (e.g. lundi, lunes…). Other less common variants of the name are Lunette, Lune or the diminutive Lunita.
The name has only appeared in German birth statistics since 1999. Exactly in this year the band topped Loona with their catchy tune Hijo de la Luna, Spanish for “child of the moon” the charts. This probably contributed significantly to its popularity. In addition, Til Schweiger’s daughter, born in 1997, bears this name. Since then, it’s been consistently among the top 100 most popular first names for newborn girls, but it never made the top 50, so it’s unlikely to be heard too often. In Spanish-speaking countries it occurs relatively often, also as a family name. Babies are also called that in other European countries, especially in Denmark and the Netherlands.
According to a study by the animal protection association Tasso eV in 2015, Luna was also the most common dog and cat name in Germany and also very popular with pet owners in previous years.
Luan and Lunas
Lelu, Lily, Loony, Lou, Lu, Lula, Lule, Luli, Lulita, Lulu, Lunchen, Lunetta, Lunette, Luni and Lunita
Similar first names
Aluna, Eluned, Katelund, Lluna, Lunabella, Lunabelle, Lunap, Lune, Lunella, Lunelle, Lunet, Luneta, Lunetta, Lunette, Lunia, Lunie, Lunorah, Marjolune, Meluna, and Miluna
Most popular double names with Luna
Alessia-Luna, Aluna-Melissa, Alysha-Luna, Anna-Luna, Bella-Luna, Emira-Luna, Enna-Luna, Ina-Luna, Isabell-Luna, Jil-Luna, Jill-Luna, Jina-Luna, Laila- Luna, Lea-Luna, Leila-Luna, Leyla-Luna, Leyna-Luna, Lily-Luna, Luna-Alexandra, and Luna-Antara
- Queen Luna (Winx Club TV series character)
- Lily Luna Potter (Harry Potter novel series character)
- Luna (character from the puppet film series “Bear in the Big Blue House”)
- Luna (character from the manga “Sailor Moon”)
- Luna Blaise (American Actress)
- Luna Christofi (Danish journalist and reporter)
- Luna Darko (video blogger)
- Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter novel series character)
- Luna Marie Schweiger (actress, daughter of Til Schweiger)
- Luna Mijovic (Bosnian actress)
- Luna Vachon (US wrestler)
- Luna Valente (character from the TV series “Soy Luna”)
- Princess Luna (My little Pony TV series character)
How did you like this article?
What can we improve about this article?
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Popularity, Origin, Meaning & Name Day
, help us and share the article on Facebook, twitter and e-mail with the hashtag ☑️ #Popularity #Origin #Meaning #Day ☑️!